Monday, January 09, 2006

Chocolate as a Spiritual Discipline

In LifeSpace, we speak of spiritual disciplines in a manner that is a bit different than you may expect. Discipline is laying yourself in the way of allurement, as Jonathan Edwards wrote. Positioning your minutes and hours to encounter the glorious, delightful God of the universe. Up close and personal.

I spent four hours blogging today. Updating blogs, checking blogs...blog, blog, blog. The word BLOG is dancing in front of my eyes. To be honest, I really do not care if I ever see another written WORD at this point. The lines and curves of letters have saturated my being.

To counteract this unfortunate occurrence, I am going to practice a spiritual discipline. It involves eating chocolate with my teenage daughters. The girls will barrel through the front door any moment. There will be floods of words for me. I can be quiet. I will practice listening well. Chocolate encourages them to keep the words flowing. My tall daughter will drape her loungey, lanky self all over me. My eldest daughter will vascillate between being sophisticated and eating Jello pudding with her index finger.

God will grace me with delight in all that it is to be young. When the girls go to their rooms for homework sessions, I will go to the back patio and be quiet. Feel the cool night air on my face. Words will have to find me tomorrow.

Joni

p.s.--okay, maybe one more word . . .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home