Monday, January 07, 2008

SURF'S UP!

We deliberately set out for the beach described as “one of the last unspoiled spots in the world where the horizon goes for eternity.” I readied myself to absorb the crashing surf and bask in the unsullied view. Imagine my surprise when I encountered these signs at the entrance to the beach.



We tout the gospel of Christ as the travel guide hawks the beach. Pure and unspoiled. Freedom as it was meant to be. Horizon of possibility. Then we box it in just as these signs vainly attempt to tame the untameable. Watch out! Fraught with danger! Be safe! Stay on the sand! Keep your lifejacket on!

Nothing about Christ as incarnated God speaks of safety. Lose your life. Die daily. Love those who hate you. Give everything away. Surf’s up, my friend. Grab your board and ride! Joni

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home